Thursday, December 31, 2015

Fishing Resolutions For A New Year

Fishing Resolutions For A New Year:



I've never been the kind of person to set New Year's Resolutions for myself.  I live my life fairly regret free, and I'm content with my every day lifestyle.  So why even try to quit my beloved Dr. Pepper until my non-peppered actual doctor tells me to?  It's not like I'm going to actually succeed in that anyway!



With that said, I have some things I'd like to do, and some changes I'd like to experiment with when it comes to bass fishing.  These things aren't necessarily "resolutions".  They aren't even necessarily changes for the better.  Honestly, they may not even be things that I want to do all year.  They are just some things I want to do, or experiment with just for the hell of it.  However, since it just happens to be New Year's Eve, let's go ahead and call these my New Years Fishing Resolutions:

1. Catch a fish on a lure I make myself.

I've made a few jigs and inline spinners the last few months but haven't given them a real shot yet.  Fishing has been slow lately so I've been sticking with the tried and true methods to at least get a few bites each trip.  Once these waters get warmed up and the fish are hungry again, I will catch something on those homemade lures!

2. Find a line I like and stick with it, then buy it in bulk to save money.

I just want to make each trip to the store a bit simpler.  Every time I step into a Bass Pro or Sportman's Warehouse I remember that one reel sitting on the shelf and I think of the myriad options of what I could do with it.  Then I stand in front of the wall of available fishing line and stress about the perfect choice.  It would be so much easier just knowing I have 5 bulk spools at home to do whatever I want with.

3. To save more money, make that line a copolymer and use it on everything (except finesse rods).

I know how important line is.  And I know that not using the "right" line for the technique might affect how many fish I catch.  However, I'll never really know unless I give it a good honest shot.  This is one I want to do all year long so I can compare my catch rates to last year when I did it the "right" way.

4. Before buying a new rod, sell an old rod.

I need a heavy flipping and pitching rod. I have four crankbait rods.  If you're looking for a decent used crankin' stick, let me know in the comments!

5. Actually act on one of my ideas to try to make some extra money on the side through fishing.

I have three ideas.  One of them might just turn out to be a promising business endeavor...  If you have a degree in business, if you know your way around web design, or if you own a fishing guide business and are looking to expand, let me know that in the comments too!

6. Help my wife catch her first fish.

Seeing as my wedding is in two days, I feel as though I should add in something about her in my New Year's Resolutions... If that is what these are....


There it is, six things that I might actually do this new year.  I've also told myself that I'm going to stop drinking energy drinks.  So if we're fishing together in the future and you notice a Monster in my hand, feel free to give me crap about it, not that it's actually going to make me stop drinking it, but it's always fun to give each other crap.

So do you have any fishing related resolutions this New Years?  If so let us know in the comments below or on Facebook!

Tight Lines to you all in 2016!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Lakes in northern arizona

    ReplyDelete